Monday, April 22, 2013

Got my ass kicked!


When I signed up for the Syracuse 70.3 I wasn't too worried about the run.  To be really honest, I wasn't really freaked out about the race overall. I mean, I knew it would be hard, but I didn't realize just how mothereffing hard until this weekend.  Basically I was bitch slapped really...really hard into reality and have started the spiral downhill of a complete mental meltdown and question if I can even finish. 

The run course is a loop of such evilness it is hard to describe, but one a person needs to experience. Feel free to come to Syracuse and I will give you a grand tour! I am going to introduce this course to my friends this coming weekend because I want them to understand WHY I had a meltdown around mile 2.5!

LOOK! LOOK AT IT!!!  *sob*





Runners do this TWICE.  I ran it once and it about killed me. It never ends. Okay it does, but only when you reach the turnaround at 3.5 mile marker to get back to the park. Yes. The downhill is nice, but let me repeat...we have to do it again *eye twitch*  Shit. I had to walk 4 times during my 8 mile run. 

To put this in perspective I have to run THAT after THIS................



What. The. Fuck.  This is the screen shot from my Garmin after Sunday's ride!! As if Saturday wasn't bad enough. 

We started out at 7 a.m. and it was 28 degrees outside.  Have you ever biked outside in 28 degree weather?  Don't.  Unless you want to know what it is like to live in Alaska naked.  My feet are still thawing.

Do you see?  Mile 5 all the way to mile 12 is Sweet Road -- a road paved in hell.  Actually.  I didn't do half bad and was miles ahead of the group. I was so happy about getting my ass up Sweet, but then the ass kicking was just ahead.  If you look at mile 20 you will see two humps.  There really should only be one -- this hill is called "the wall" off of Rte 80 or what I call the roller coaster. After screaming going downhill (people get up to 50 on this downhill!), you then head straight up.  I didn't make it.  Ended up walking and I was the only one out of the group who did.  My coach. She wasn't having it and looked at me and said, "you are doing it again."

Helene was taking care of another athlete and her mental meltdown when going up the wall.  This time she was stuck to my side like glue. We went back down and headed back up, except this time I didn't have the momentum from the downhill.  She got me up that hill and I thought I was going to die. My lungs...my legs...my heart all felt like they were going to explode, but I did it.  It was only her pushing and refusing to let me believe I wasn't good enough.  I. Did. It.  Then we had to go back. That wasn't much better!

See that downhill? Yeah. My hand was cramping because I was squeezing my brakes so hard all the while praying out loud.  After Sunday I realized that I MUCH prefer the pain of climbing than the life-flash-before-my-eyes downhill. 

I am going to apologize in advance right now because there are going to be at least 748534859457983457938457938475 mental breakdown blog posts. 

Freaking Syracuse 70.3.





No comments: