Sunday, February 24, 2013

How I almost got killed...not really, but felt like it.

Random thoughts.

The past couple weeks I was able to get a glimpse into other sports.  I've been running for so long that I've become accustom to the runners bubble.  We talk about speed work, tempo runs, long runs and what to wear, not to wear. This year, I am bouncing between the runners and triathlete bubble.  Triathletes talk about bike rpm's, cadence, swim strokes, saddle sores.  Last weekend, I had a conversation with a swimmer. What a fascinating breed. 

At the Tri open house, I met the swim coach for the local swim club.  We started chatting about their workouts.  What I heard made my jaw hit the floor. A warm up for them is 500 -800 yards.  Last year this would have be my ENTIRE workout. An typical workout is completing 4,000 yards.  This blew me away and I thought...that is insane! Then the conversation shifted to my running and that I do a 10-12 mile run every weekend and have ran a marathon. This blew them away. To them, this was insane.

All of us in our little bubbles.  In our comfort zone. This made me realize it is good to get out of the comfort zone and learn a bit more about the world of different sports.  I truly believe this makes us better athletes. Doesn't mean you have to stick with the sport, but experiencing it will give you an all new respect for your own.  Or.  You could find another sport you love. 

Running will always be my first love.  It must be love since it almost got me killed this weekend.  Let me explain. No.  There is too much.  Let me sum up. (anyone know that movie line?)

Saturday was a long run and we decided to run out by Green Lakes.  The first 3 miles are ALL UP HILL. It was brutal, but after that it isn't so horrible.  However, the weather was horrible.  It was that mix of rain, sleet and ice pellets.  This wintery mix made the roads very slippery.

As we reached the 9 mile mark we see a mini van take a corner way to fast.  Then it was like watching something out of an action film.  The van clipped a red car and took out the headlight.  When it hit that car is started spinning and SLAMMED into the truck behind the car.  Shit flew everywhere! Then the van started sliding...right towards Ben and I.  I started screaming at Ben to get the fuck out of the way because he was mesmerized by the scene.  We jumped to the side of the road and then the van took a turn towards our friend Shannon that was at the stop sign waiting to cross the road.  Thankfully the van came to a stop before it got anywhere near her.

Shannon runs to the mini van and asked everyone if they were okay.  The couple said "yes, we are okay."   At that point Shannon hears crying in the back.  She asked them "do you have a child in the car?"  And they said "yes."  Shannon opened the side door and calmed the poor little boy down -- he was seven.  The parents NEVER SAID A WORD! To the child or to Shannon.  They didn't ask if he was okay or attempted to calm him down.  Not. A. Word.  It was the most fucked up thing.

The guy in the truck was SO lucky. He had cuts all over his face from the glass, but seemed okay.  We waited till the ambulance and police showed up, gave our names and had 2 more miles to get back to our cars.  We needed to hurry because we all about pooped our pants!

It is crazy out there people.  And we need to be a little crazy to keep doing what we do.

1 comment:

Blogger said...

Sports betting system earn +$3,624 PROFIT last week...

Z-Code System winning picks and forecasts for MLB, NHL, NBA and NFL!