Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Tick Tock

It had been 14 days since I've put on my sneakers.  Sunday, I felt comfortable enough to try a VERY short run to see how the back injury would hold up.

First let me say that injuries suck and this one is kicking my ass.  All I hear in my head is "tick tock tick tock" of the clock.  Five days till I get my first email with my training for the week.  Leave it to me to start this thing with an injury! But I still have time. 

I started out at a very ginger pace, my back was tight, but not painful.  NOTHING like when I ran the 5K.  Which, by the way, I am still kicking myself for such a stupid decision to run.  Anyway, after a mile, I had to stop and stretch the back and looking like an idiot.  Only did 2 miles, but I was happy with it.  Afterwards my back seemed no worse.  I was hoping this was a sign I was almost recovered.

Every year we have a tradition of meeting friends on Christmas Eve morning for a run and then we head out to breakfast.  This year was the only year I couldn't make the run.  When I got up to get ready my back was hurting. Not a lot. At first I thought I would meet them halfway and run 3 instead of 6. Then it hit me.  This type of decision is what got me in injured in the first place. This decision, although right, caused a different type of pain. 

Today is Christmas and I am hoping for a Christmas miracle.  Going to head out to try again. Not long. Just 3 miles.  It would be the best Christmas present EVER.

Wishing all a very Merry Christmas!

No comments: