Sunday, December 09, 2012

Hello,Stupid

Hello. My name is Bridget and I am an idiot. 

Last week I was changing the water for the water cooler and tweaked my lower back. Freaking water bottles. Apparently I was sleeping during the instructions about lifting with your legs and not your back. Back wasn't bad, but I could tell I poked the bees nest.

Friday night a friend and I drove an hour to Seneca Falls to pick up our race packets for the Its A Wonderful Life 5k on Saturday night.  We did a little shopping and ate at the best damn diner on the planet.  This place makes the best hush puppies I have ever had.  My back was acting up, but again, nothing that would cause me to think running a 5k would be a problem.

Saturday morning I tried to get out bed and holy hell my back was killing me.  Hurt to get up, walking was somewhat painful.  It wasn't good.  I didn't want to bag out on the run because there was about 12 of us going to do the race and go to dinner afterwards.  Thought, okay, wait till you get there and decided if you will run.

Get to the race and decided to run.  Not hard, just what my back will allow me to do.  The husband was NOT happy about this decision. However, I thought if we go slow and I could walk if I needed to.  We start out at 10 m/m and the back was hurting.  REALLY hurting, but I am in it now and this is a small town race with 3,000 runners.  I was in the stream of runners with no way of getting out.  Decided to keep going.  It was the inclines that damn near brought me to my knees.  Amazingly enough I kept a 9:30 pace.  Shitty part is I felt great other than the hot iron poker that was being jammed in my lower back.

Crossed the finish line at around 30 minutes and change.  Woot!!  Downfall is I cannot bend over. At all. As soon as I finished I knew that I screwed up.  Should never had ran.  But I didn't know just how bad it was going to get.

We waited around for the age group awards.  Shannon's husband, Loren took 2nd overall female.  Did you catch that?  Yep.  They put him down as a female.  We all had a good laugh!  We didn't think of checking his bib when we picked it up. Our bad. This isn't the only time this has happened to him.  I guess his is the fastest chick in Chittenango.

Bill and I got home around 9 p.m. to find that Percy and Pirate must have had a scuffle. Pirate has a small wound on the side of his neck and Percy had faint blood smears all of his back! WTF!!!  He was okay, but we can't figure out what the hell happened!  My guess is that Pirate got Percy down on the ground and Percy got him with his nails.  Freaking dogs.

I take two Aleve and hit the sack.  Around 1 a.m. I had to go to the bathroom and could NOT get out of bed.  It hurt so bad.  Got my feet on the floor, but couldn't stand up. Manged to stand up, but could barely walk to the bathroom.  The pain was so bad that I damn near passed out.  It was that bad.  So bad that for a minute there I thought we were going to be making a trip to Urgent Care.

That was how the rest of the night went.  In the morning, I am able to get up and shuffle around.  Back is still hurting, but not nearly as bad as last night and the husband has been hired to serve as my service monkey for the day.

I swear to never, ever to do something so stupid again.



2 comments:

Marie said...

Hi! Thanks for putting me in your blog list. You write good shit. =D

Sorry about your back! I would probably have been an idiot and tried to run too. I like learning things the hard way.

Bridget said...

No, no...YOU write good shit.