Saturday, February 04, 2012

Gerbil Girl

My days are currently being filled with student appointments, giving seminars and answering questions like this --"What tense do I use for my resume?  If I am currently doing something do I use present or past tense?"

*deep sigh*

After having a mini rant in the office about why this was a question, I felt the desperate need to go to the gym and focus on something other than work.

Working at a University has perks and one is that I can go to any of the three gyms on campus. One is a smaller gym on the outskirts of campus, but only a block from my building.  Great for when I want to use the treadmill because it isn't as packed as the main gym.  However, I needed to use the main gym because it has the bike I needed for my workout; Lance Armstrong -- very cool. 

I changed into my gym clothes and realized that I had left my gym shoes at home.  All I had were my clip shoes. Shit. I can't walk across campus in my clip shoes! But I really wanted to workout. What to do? I tell you what I did. I put my heels back on.  Yep. Sweatpants, white socks and black heels.  It was quite a look. I wasn't too worried about being noticed.  And I wasn't.  Thank you oblivious college students.

At the gym are two Armstrong bikes. One of the bikes has been broken for a few weeks.  Last week I got stuck using the broken bike.  The handlebars adjustment was broken and was set so far forward that I was practically laying on the bike. It sucked. When I got to the gym, I was screwed again.  A girl was on the good bike. Here is what chapped my ass. It was CLEAR she didn't know what the hell she was doing and was just spinning her tiny little  20-something legs like crazy. She looked like a gerbil on crack.

As she is spinning away, I started to adjust the second bike.  Grab the bars and they are soaking wet. SO GROSS. The person before me didn't wipe the bike down.  After throwing up a little in my mouth I wiped the bike down.  Good news was the bike was fixed and I could adjust the seat and the bars. Bad news is that the lever to adjust the seat was sticking out on the side.  It wouldn't close flush under the seat like it should. This made for a VERY uncomfortable ride. The lever is jamming into my thigh and after several minutes of fucking with it, I gave up. I got off, wiped the bike down and headed back to the office, while Gerbil girl was still whirling away.

No comments: