Sunday, April 24, 2011

Test? What test?

The only part of my body that isn't sore are my fingers. And I have to go for a run this morning. *sob*

The first day of the swim clinic went well. Actually, it went great because I realized how much I enjoy and miss swimming. Granted, I suck at it, but it felt good to get back in the water.

There are 14 people in the class. Half are beginners (me) and the other half intermediate. The coach said if we could swim 50 yrds without stopping we should go to intermediate. Surprisingly, I could swim 100 yrds without stopping (thank you marathon training), but there was no way in hell I was going over to the intermediate group. It has been at least 5 years since I've been in the pool and I didn't want be *that* asshole. When you are first meeting people, it is awkward enough and for me to switch, I felt like I would be saying...'nah, nah, I am better than you.'

Coach had us do a few fitness tests. The first was to count our strokes (snicker, I said stroke) for 4 - 25 yrd swims. They were: 21, 20, 20, 20. Don't know if that is bad or good. Then we had to swim a 100 yrds counting our swim strokes for the entire 100 yrds. Mine was 80, but I am not sure because there was a guy in my lane that wasn't doing very well and I almost swam up his butt a couple times so I had to stop and let him get ahead. The last thing we did was a test of endurance. Coach asked us to swim 400 yrds as fast as we could and time it. 400 yrds!!! Sonofa....

My time was under 5 minutes and felt like my lungs were going to explode and my triceps were going to spring out the back of my arms. I *think* I swam the entire 400, but there were a few people in my lane that I had to either stop, wait and then go around. This was distracting and since I can barely remember by own phone number or any 3 digit number I am sure I lost track.

After our testing, came the video. Groan. He videotaped everyone from the side (left and right) and from the front and back. He will evaluate our technique and give us a detailed description and copy of the video of what to work on. Can't wait (note: sarcasm).

Happy Easter!

No comments: