Sunday, October 11, 2009

Running Weekend

Saturday was my first long run in three weeks. My leg is feeling about 80 percent. I stayed away from the hills, but managed to get in 17 miles in 3:07 -- average around 11 minute miles. UGH! I just can't seem to break those 11 minutes! BUT, I am blaming the total ass whooping that Kevin gave us on Tuesday. Holy shit. We did MAJOR hills for 20 minutes -- sprint up/easy down and these mother's where steep. The next few days my ass was killing me. Damn! I haven't been that sore in a looooong time. Freakin' hills. Anyway, I was still feeling Tuesday on Saturday, but still, it is starting to piss me off. My goal for Philly is to maintain a steady 10:30, which will put me at a 4:30 marathon.

Today was seriously very cool. Four members of our group were running the Fulton Century Half and Full Marathon. Pat, or what we like to call him, Fast Pat, was running the marathon. Kelle and Mary Ann were running the Half.

A group of us decided to get together and head to the race to cheer for our running buddies. We meet at 6:15 a.m. to make it to the 7 a.m. start and let me tell you, it was FREEZING. The wind was whipping and I was thanking God I was not running, but cheering. We see them off and head out to find a good spot to cheer. It wasn't hard. This race is extremely small, therefore, there isn't a lot of....ummmmm.....extra's? Meaning, traffic isn't stopped, the mile markers are little white arrows marked on the shoulder of the road and little to no spectators. It would be a very lonely marathon for a lot of people.

We find the water stop between mile 5 and 6. No one was there so all of us decide to start filling the cups and sort of took over. Good thing because none of the volunteers showed up. Oh, wait! One did, but she was supposed to direct the runners around the orange cone that was 10 ft. around the corner. The course coordinator was there to make sure no one cheated and just turned right at the stop sign. HA! He was a great guy. There we were screaming, clamoring our cow bells, holding our signs and having a ball. It was so much fun!! I screamed so much I started to lose my voice!

We received a lot of smiles and thank you's. It was a great feeling. We saw all our friends come in and run a great race. I couldn't be prouder of all of them. They are truly an inspiration.

1 comment:

runswithdog said...

You will definitely break 11 at Philly. YOU ARE TIRED! This training program was too long. You need your taper and then you will come back stronger than ever.