Sunday, August 09, 2009

No Sympathy!

Saturday's long run kicked...my...ass. I can't figure out why it was so much harder than last week. I could only do one 'bowl' and then stuck with the trail around the lake. Thankfully, I wasn't alone in my misery. My friend Mary was with me and felt just as bad.

I don't just don't get it! It was a beautiful day and I was feeling good when I started, but the hills did me in this time. At the two hour - 28 minute mark Mary and I stopped and talked to Coach Kevin. Both of us had tears in our eyes and started the "do we have to keep going" - "we feel like crap" etc. Coach Kevin asks "what time are you supposed to run" and we said "2:45" and he said, "what time is it now?" We said "2:28" and he said, keep going. Then the sobbing and begging began -we promptly said "but we are near tears" and he promptly said, "if you feel like crying now, wait till you run the marathon. This training is tough and will prepare you well. Now go." And we did. We ran another 17 minutes, but not a second more.

We did it. 2 hours and 45 minutes - the longest I have ever run in my life. Next week -- gulp -- 3 hours. I am clinging to Coach Kevin's words - if I can survive his training, I can survive a marathon.
Coach Kevin (looking a little WAY to happy)
Mary with the 'tell me why the hell we are doing this?' look.
Another beautiful morning at Green Lakes.

1 comment:

runswithdog said...

Awwwwwwwww.....KevCol! And FastMary!!! *sniff*

I maintain it's a hallmark of KevCol training - you spend months exhausted and getting slower and slower. And then you race and everything clicks. :-)

You are going to rip up that asphalt. I can't wait!