Sunday, August 02, 2009

Back on the Wagon

This week I got back on the wagon with training. Completed five days of running in a row. A first for me in a long time. Granted the training calls for six runs, but I know my body and that is too much for me. Five seemed to work for me and I am going to try to stick with it for the next couple weeks.

Last Tuesday was the first long tempo run. 30 minutes of hard effort, but not so hard that you fatigue and can't finish the tempo. It is a hard balance to find. I think I balanced it well because I finished the tempo run knowing that I couldn't have gone faster or further if you had put a gun to my head. Oh yeah, and the sensation of wanting to vomit. That is when you know you did it right. I managed to stay with a cosistent 8:30 pace and not vomit.

Saturday was the torturous long run; two and half hours of rolling hills. I cannot explain how hard this run is on you physically and mentally. The hills are just brutal. And you have to run them over, and over again. Eventually, I will running 20+ miles on these rolling hills. All I keep thinking is if I can do 20 miles here, look out Philly! Which by the way, I have switched my marathon from Steamtown in October to Philadelphia in November. I will be turning the big 40 that weekend.

Today, I ran with Trac's group. An easy 3 miles. It was glorious. Boy, do I miss the days of 3 mile runs. It was a hard, hard, day because Trac left for Florida today. Brutal. My best friend is leaving and I don't know when I will see her again. We cried, hugged and vowed to see each other soon. I know change is a part of life, but it sucks. Bad. I am going to miss her so much. Sonofabitch. Where is the gin.

No comments: