Saturday, August 29, 2009

17 miles or Bust

I am hoping I turned a corner in my training. Typically, I am very wussy (yes, it is a word..in MY dictionary) with my runs. If it doesn't fit perfectly in my schedule, I am fast to put it off. Oh yeah, I am a serious wuss. Friday though, I was totally hardcore.

Work is entering the insane zone. Students are flocking back to campus (with H1N1, but that is another entry), we are short a staff member and our office is busier than a one-legged man in a butt kicking contest so trying to fit in my runs is proving to be a challenge. For example, I had to figure out how to fit a 3-hour run into a weekend that was chocked full. My decision -- run after work on Friday -- 3 hours.

Thank God, another woman from the running group met me at the Parkway because she had to do 3.5 hours. If it wasn't for her, I don't think I would have made it. We started out and an hour into the run, it started to rain. It was miserable. We sloshed and squished for 17 miles. My first EVER 17 miles. I didn't finished until 7:45 p.m., but we got it done and the most exciting part...we kept it under 11 minute miles. I could have cried I was so happy. My body hurt, my feet looked like raisins, and I was drenched to the bone, but I did 17 miles. It was a real boost to my confidence.

My strategy is to take it one mile at a time. Instead of thinking...OMG how am I going to run another 9 miles, I am going to focus on the now. Next weekend my training calls for 3:15 so I am going to shoot for 18.5 miles.

1 comment:

bazu said...

I have the perfect solution for you... hire me as your personal assistant since you're one person short in the office! ;-)


no really- when are we grabbing lunch?