Saturday, June 06, 2009

Toenails? What Toenails?

Does it make me a real runner when my toenails fall off? If it does, then I am a real runner. Just to set the record straight, it isn't ALL my toenails. Just my big toes and it hurts. Shit. If I knew that running this type of mileage would do this I might have reconsidered.

Regardless of my screwed up and disgusting looking toes I headed out for my long run this morning. I can't believe it, but I am actually getting used to getting up at 5 a.m. on Saturday's. I have my routine down to a science. Feed the dogs at 5 (only because they force the issue if you don't), have a gigantic cup of coffee, watch "How Clean is your House" on BBC, eat peanut butter toast at 5:45, get dressed at 6:15 and out the door at 6:30 to Dewitt. Home by 9:30 a.m., and nap at 11:30 a.m. Let me tell you, naps have never been so glorious than on Saturday's. You know the deep, drool all over the pillow type of naps. They sort of make up for the lost toenails.

Today it was an 1:30 minute run. Felt pretty good and held a steady pace of about 10 m/m. Happy with that because I am thinking that is the pace I want to have for the first part of my marathon. Next week we move it up to 1:45 and the week after that it will a full 2 hours. Groan. I don't know if my toenails can take it!

No comments: