Sunday, May 03, 2009

Race Report - Lehigh Valley Half Marathon

Completed my 3rd half marathon this weekend. It may not have been my fastest, but it was a good run. For the first time in a long time I actually "enjoyed" running. Meaning, it wasn't like the running gods were sucking the life out of my very being (just for writing that I will pay).

There were four of us with two being their first half. I can't even tell you how proud we are of Mary and Tori. They both had an amazing race. Mary just started running LAST YEAR with a 5k. Now she has finished her first half in under 2 hours. Tori is just a natural. She finished around 1:50 (holy shit)! Trac did great too and got her PR of 2:22. I am so proud of her. She had a really tough past 3 weeks with being injured and sick. To come back from that with a PR is an awesome accomplishment.

The weather wasn't fabalous at Lehigh. A high of 55 degrees, overcast, but very humid (95% to be exact). Needless to say we were drenched with sweat by mile two! Then around mile 7 it started raining, but not a hard rain. More of mist. It felt good, but you could feel the chill start to set in the bones. At the finish it was more like regular rain and it was cold. We decided to get the hell out of there and back to the hotel for a soak in the hot tub.

A few things happened at the race that was a little nerve wracking. One was that I rolled my ankle at the start. There was a manhole cover that was just slightly sunken into the ground. Well...I manged to step on that bastard just right and almost did a face plant on the pavement. It hurt like a motherfuc*** for a few minutes, but I ran it out and it was fine. A little achy right now, but I have always been lucky to have strong ankles. It is all thanks to yoga! Warrior 3 and Tree are two excellent poses to strength those ankles.

Second thing was around mile 8 my ipod shuffle tanked. Batteries toast. For just a moment I started having flashbacks to P.F. Chang!! It was a good kick in the ass of a reminder to CHARGE everything before the race.

Overall, the race was great. Maybe. Just maybe. Once in awhile it is worth it to just run, not race. Give yourself a chance to take things in, see the course, the people and give yourself the freedom of not giving a shit about time. Just run.

1 comment:

Libby said...

Sounds like you had a pretty good outing. There were a bunch of rough patches for rolling ankles. I tried to avoid them as much as possible. This was my first race, so reading others experiences has been wonderful. Glad you and your group did so well!