Monday, April 06, 2009

We are making progress with the remodeling projects for the house. This weekend we finally bit the bullet and tackled the 70's mirror wall in the foyer. We have been dreading for years trying to take this bastard down. Visions of millions of pieces of glass going everywhere and just the general pain in the ass of trying to take it down has kept us from doing it. Now we don't have a choice because we are getting the foyer wallpapered in a few weeks so it had to come down. And being the cheap ass I am I didn't want to pay someone to do it.

Bill had the brilliant (he is so freakin' smart) idea of putting clear contact paper over the mirrors. It worked beautifully!!! As you can see below this is half of the mirrored wall covered in the contact paper. It was hard wrestling with the contact paper because it likes to twist and turn and stick to itself, but if you did small sections at a time it was manageable with few curse words.

Bill then scored the lines between the pieces. Then he started at the top left hand corner by sticking the metal shive (can't think of the name of the tool) underneath the mirror. Then he worked it so that he could separate the mirror from the sticky adhesive they used on each corner. THANK YOU Jesus that had only use stick adhesive on 4 corners of the mirror. All we had to do was separate them and off came the mirror totally intact! It was beautiful! We didn't break one and we were done in 15 minutes.

This is the wall afterwards with a nice coat of spackle. What a difference!!
At the end of the month we should have a date for the install of the front entry-way door, storm door, sidelights, bay window and replacement windows in the upstairs part of the house. Wooo hoo!!

No comments: