Sunday, November 23, 2008

Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow

Running in Central New York in the winter is, lets just say, challenging. Especially when you live in a place that uses the term 'snow band' everyday in the local news. This week and for the foreseeable future it is to snow every freakin' day.

Friday was a flurry of emails about where and if we were going to be able to get out for our long run on Saturday. The region was to get about 6-9 inches of snow on Friday and several more inches Saturday morning. It took me an hour to get home from work because the roads were awful. So when Kevin, our fearless trainer called for a brief moment my hopes raised that the run would be cancelled. Hell no. It was just moved to the Onondaga Lake Park because they plow the main trail. CRAP!

Trac picked me up at 6:45 a.m. and off we went. We get there and it is snowing, the parking lot and trail hasn't been plowed yet. Probably because they assumed people would be out this early in the snow. This is the first time for me running during the winter. I feel like I am on a steep learning curve. Saturday I had overdressed slightly and learned that buying a neck gaiter is a must. My chin felt like it was going to fall off.

The start of the run was nice and I do have to say, the Parkway was beautiful that early in the morning. Everything was covered with freshly fallen snow making everything around you sparkle. When the sun came out the sky was a gorgeous shade of blue. The plows came out and started working on the trail and then it went downhill. They were plowing but not salting! Hence, everything became a solid sheet of ice. There were a few times during the run we did the...wooooooooooo sound. You know, when you hit that little bit of ice and your feet slip out from you a little and you go...woooooo! An hour and 45 minutes of wooooooooo!

By the end of the run my legs hurt. My knee, my hips, my ass, everything from the waist down. Kevin caught up with us before we left and we must have looked a sight. The look of complete worry on his face! He called Tracy later that day to see how we were doing. He is such a good coach.

All I can say is that running in the 17 degree snowy weather is going to make me a tougher runner. At least I hope so!

No comments: