Thursday, June 26, 2008

So Proud!

I can't tell you how proud I am of Sophie. She is doing so well in her agility class. Even the instructor commented on how well she is doing for being a...cough...greyhound.

Last week we started working on contact. Dottie, the instructor, told us she is going to be really tough on us because she is huge about teaching dogs to do contact. She has seen way to many dogs fault on the contact. Contact is the area that the dogs feet have to touch on certain obstacles.

We worked on the a mini A-frame. Dottie had us use targets (a plastic coffee can lid with a treat on it) to get our dogs to stop at the bottom, but still have their back feet on the contact. We reinforce with lots and lots of treats, then release. Sophie did rather well. She LOVES the target. :-)

We also worked on the teeter. Oh god the teeter. The dogs were a fair distance away from it. When Dottie hit the end of the teeter down we started rewarding when our dog didn't react to the noise. Then we worked to get the dogs closer and closer. Everyone did very well. Eventually we got everyone around the teeter and few of the dogs even walked down it!! And Sophie actually put her front feet up on the teeter a few times which got her BIG rewards and praise.

I can really tell that she is getting much more confident.

2 comments:

IHateToast said...

do you ever say, "your dog is fast for a *cough* _____ "?

sophie'll top the teeter in no time.

i loved the teeter totter as a kid. loved to bump. don't suppose sophie is into bumps.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

I'm proud of you guys too. Yeah, contact training is important. I sort of skipped in on my first greyhound thinking I'd never compete. Once I started competing, I wish I had trained contacts :-). Jes was very good at jumping over the yellow contacts.

Jen