Friday, May 23, 2008

Tunnels, Chutes and Tires OH MY!!

Sophie and I successfully made it through our 2nd agility class. We worked on the planks in the beginning and Sophie really started to feel comfortable walking on them. Dottie the instructor wants us to start working on getting the dogs to turn while on the plank, which is a lot harder than you would think. Not for the dog, but for the people. It is amazing how your body position and/or slightest movement can make all the difference between your dog walking right along or falling off. Sophie and I have a lot of work to do with the turns.

Next was working on the jumps. They set the obstacles in different angles this time, not just going to straight across. This proved be a little hard for Sophie this time around. She would arc out to the right and miss the jumps. She did this several times and the trainers were bound and determined to figure out why. Well, they decided to have me stand at the far left instead of the center and sure enough she came straight down the middle.

Then....the tunnel...chute and tire. I had a feeling this wasn't going to be easy and I was right. The rest of the dogs in the class were flying through them, but when it came to our turn. Class came to a stand still. Sophie was like, ummmm...you want me to do what? And hence, the greyhound brakes came on. We did conquer the tire and the chute (it didn't have the fabric part on it) after much coaxing and treats. The tunnel was by far the hardest and took a lot of time. I felt bad for the rest of the class because the trainers were bound and determine to get her through, which requires lots of patience, praise and treats. Finally, she went through. It was the greatest feeling in the world.

1 comment:

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

My first greyhound, Jes, hated tunnels initally. I finally created some things at home that resembled a tunnel so we could work everyday. I think I cut out the ends of a cardboard box and then created a sort of tunnel with tarp laid over some chairs or something. Once she got over her resistance, it transfered very nicely to the tunnels in agility and eventually she LOVED them.

Keep at it!

Jen