Saturday, January 19, 2008

Holy Doughnuts Batman!

Being sick for over a week has really pissed me off and this morning I wanted something fried to soothe my last nerve. And what I wanted was doughnuts! So I mixed up a batch of vegan cake doughnuts. I have to say I am very impressed with myself for these hit the spot. They were a little dense, but hey, they are a cake doughnut! They had a nice crunch with a hint of cinnamon and nutmeg with just a little sprinkle of powdered sugar. It was love at first bite.



Ingredients:

2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
a pinch of nutmeg
2 tablespoons Earth Balance butter melted
1/2 cup soy milk
Egg replacer for one egg

Heat oil in deep fryer to 375

Sift flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix in butter until crumbly. Stir in soy milk and egg replacer. With floured hands, lightly knead the dough. Add a little more soy milk if you need to make the dough smooth. Turn onto area prepared with flour. Pat dough into 1/4 inch thickness. Dip either doughnut cutter - I used the rim of a floured coffee cup - to cut out doughnuts. Carefully drop doughnuts into the hot oil. Don't over crowed. Fry, turning once, for 3 minutes each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels or brow paper bag. Sprinkle with powdered sugar or cinnamon-sugar mix.

2 comments:

runswithdog said...

The novelty hasn't worn off of that g_d damned deep fryer yet, huh?

IHateToast said...

oh man

let the novelty stand. there's a fish and chip shop around the corner. they offer deep-fried mars bars. ew! at least with the new management, we don't have to smell the old oil in the air. they did NOT have your recipe books.