Sunday, November 04, 2007

Food, food and more food

My two new cookbooks from Amazon arrived this week. I was like a kid on Christmas morning! Ripping into the cardboard package and squealing with glee. One was the holy grail of vegan cookbooks, Veganomicon by Isa and Terry.

This cookbook has a mind boggling array of recipes. It makes you wonder how in the hell did they found time to create all of these recipes! I am sure this cookbook had to be like giving birth and I am happy to own one of their babies.

It was hard to decide what to make first, but when I saw the recipe for Samosa Stuffed Baked Potatoes I knew it had to be made...immediately.

These puppies are a MUST make from this cookbook. They are so good and I LOVE the coriander in them because it gives them such a great pop of flavor. I brought these to a little dinner party I went too and everyone gobbled them up, with oooh's and ahhhh's.Last weekend I picked up some beautiful eggplant at the farmers market and needed to us them up quickly. Veganomicon has the answer: Spicy Peanut and Eggplant Soup. This picture blows. My camera skills suck, but it really did look pretty on the plate.

This dish is very time intensive and will take the full hour 20+ minutes, but it is well worth it. The flavor was exactly as the book describes: rich and savory. It is a stick to your ribs soup and I am excited for the leftovers because this is a soup that will get better with time.

The other cookbook I bought was The Everyday Vegan by Dreena Burton. Haven't had a chance to make anything yet, but plan to this week! On the agenda is Pesto Portabella's and Eggless Sandwich filling.

4 comments:

bazu said...

These two dishes look so exciting! I'm grateful for everyone's blogs, because there are so many recipes in Veganomicon that I haven't even noticed yet! Those potatoes and that soup seem like must-makes. I'm glad you're enjoying your new books!

runswithdog said...

Those potatoes look amazing! Make some for me please :-) That is tumeric causing the yellow color, right and not cheese?

All my tomorrows said...

Does soy cheese make that color?

Yeah, those look like a million dollars...YUMMERS.

bazu said...

Oh my god. Oh my god. Eating eggplant soup right now. Heaven.