Sunday, October 21, 2007

Fall Bounty

The fall starts my obsession with pumpkins. For some reason I can't get enough of them! They are so cute, and round, and colorful, and tasty and just damn cute! When I head out to pick my pumpkins I tend to get wee bit carried away.
Trac met me at my favorite farm stand and we headed out to the pumpkin patch to find the perfect orange globes of delight. There were so many! It was hard to choose and I could have come home with many, many more. Alas, I had to curb my desire to load up my van and picked these six cuties. (Umm...I have to admit I have no idea what the green thing is, but it was so weird looking I couldn't pass him up). All of this was only $10! WAY cheaper than the supermarket.

Now that I have my pumpkin display it was time to do some cooking. I decided to try a pumpkin pudding recipe from the Candle Cafe Cookbook and roast the seeds.

I didn't have any Arrowroot powder so I used corn starch instead. Then threw in some extra spices, such as nutmeg and a little vanilla. It is good, but the consistency isn't really pudding, but more uncooked pie fillingish. The flavors are great, but I can't help wanting to throw it in a pie crust.

The seeds came out great. A little too salty so I will cut that way down. I melted 2 TBSP Earth Balance butter, threw in some garlic powder, sea salt and vegan Worcheshire sauce and tossed. Roasted in the oven for about 20 minutes. Although extremely salty (duh, sea salt AND Worcheshire) they were freakin' good. You just need to drink three glasses of water afterwards.

Next on the agenda was roasted applesauce. Oh man, I love homemade applesauce and could never go back to jarred sauce again.

It came out a little tart. Not bad, but definitely makes your lips pucker. Next time I won't put so much lemon in and cut down on the Granny Smith apple. Then I think it will perfect, but this comes damn close.

4 Macintosh apples (cored and sliced)
3 Granny Smith apples (cored and sliced)
1 lemon juiced & zest
1 orange juiced & zest
4 TBSP Earth Balance
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 TBSP cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup maple syrup

Mix everything together, add a couple red peeled skins to mix and cook at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes. Take out the red skins and blend to desired consistency.

Finally, a little video. This is our backyard. I love to go out and listen to the trees and watch them swaying. Very peaceful and Zen like. Thought I would share. Listen closely at the end to hear the creak of the tree to the right.

1 comment:

bazu said...

I love these pumpkins! Like you, I probably couldn't have stopped at one and like you, I would be attracted to that crazy green one! Is that a hubbard squash? I can never keep all the different squash straight. I haven't gotten a pumpkin yet. =( I have quite an assortment of crazy looking squashes, though! Wait, what the heck is the plural of squash...?