Saturday, September 15, 2007

This is what the weather was like when we got to the Bud Run at 8:30 a.m. this morning. What you can't really get from this picture is that it was freaking POURING rain and it was butt ass cold. I do believe 53 degrees. Needless to say we were miserable and hoping that the rain would let up before the 9:15 start.

Forty-five minutes later. This is what the weather ended up being for the start of the race. It was so weird!!! At exactly 9:10 it stopped raining, the sun came out and the sky cleared up. It turned out to be perfect for running.


The race was hard. Real hard. There was a lot of wind to fight against and a couple of hills that I seemed to have blocked out of my memory. There was one mother of a hill at the 3 mile turn around. That is just cruel people!

Trac, unfortately wasn't able to run this year because of a nasty cold she came down with. She was pretty bummed, but we will get her in a 10k before the season ends! But, another friend ours, Wendy ran. We started out super strong and fast. Our first mile was 9:30! I was really nervous for Wendy because she is still fighting a cold and nasty cough too. Last thing I wanted was to see her carted off in the above pictured medical vehicle. But she keep going like the energizer bunny. Around the 3 mile maker she slowed and I went ahead.

The whole race I kept telling myself that this is just the West Trail (were we run every Saturday), and to use the same strategy. Nice and easy till the 4 mile mark and then you can start counting down.

Around the 4 mile mark I realized that I had half a shot of getting in under 60 minutes. This motivated me to keep my pace and not slow down.

I entered the plant and could feel the finish around the corner. Except I forgot. There are THREE CORNERS to go around. Thankfully, my friends were sitting at the first one. What a beautiful sight they were to see. The pain on my face must have been apparent because Jen ran me in with her Rudy collar. She encouraged me the whole way and I don't think I could have done it without her.

I don't know my official time, but I know it was 59 minutes and something - Trac said it was 9:34 mile. Woooooohooooooooooo. My personal best. The race in 2005 I ran in 1:04 - so I knocked an entire 5 minutes off. I am elated. Crippled. But elated. My lovely husband also had a personal best today with a time 47:48!!! Damn he is fast. Oh, and my friend Sue did most excellent too. She didn't walk and finished with a time that was well before her goal!

After the race it was free beer (it was sponsored by Budweiser) and Bacardi slushies for everyone! It may of been 11 a.m in New York, but it was 5 o'clock somewhere.



This is the green slushie that was mighty tasty. Mmmmmm....mmmmmm...good. It was refreshing at first, then I had to switch to good old beer.
And when we got home we were able to get a family portrait.

11 comments:

bazu said...

Awesome! Yay for personal bests and green slushies!

Sue said...

How come everyone "forgets" to say that I was LAST.....I had the pace car follow me. Brian thought I did something wrong and had the cops after me. Oh well. You did awsome!!! Thanks for waiting for me at the end!!!

Vivacious Vegan said...

Congratulations! I wish I had the motivation and desire to run. You rock!

runswithdog said...

I think you will have to change the blog's name to 5SpeedyGreys. What an awesome time - I am so proud of you for digging in there and gutting it out!

Rimshot said...

Hi, I stumbled on your blog via the word "greyhound" :)

Congrats on the successful run. Someday, I'm hoping to get my butt through the Chicago Marathon, but right now I'm struggling to lose weight and walk briskly on the treadmill. So, you're kind of an inspiration in that regard.

Now, with the dogs...I'm so very jealous! I only have the space for one (Molly is 8-1/2). She laughs at me when I'm on the treadmill. Eventually, I hope to have a pack of greys all my own (well, they'll have a 'me' all their own)

IHateToast said...

don't you think our times would improve if they showed pictures of slushies along the way? instead of x miles done, how about y miles to slushies?

so where do you sit?

All my tomorrows said...

Hay yeah! Way to do it! :-)

Blogger said...

Claim FREE bitcoins over at Easy Bitcoin Faucet. 11 to 33 satoshis every 10 minutes.

Blogger said...

Are you tired of looking for bitcoin faucets?
Double your claimed satoshis with this new BTC FAUCET ROTATOR.

Blogger said...

Get all your favorite spirits and wines on Duty Free Depot!

All the highest quality brand name drinks for unbeatable low prices.

Blogger said...

From my experience the #1 Bitcoin exchange company is YoBit.