Saturday, August 11, 2007

The past couple weeks have been a little hectic hence why no blogging.

Miss Sally Mae (above) wasn't doing to well last week. We aren't sure how it happened, but she hurt her neck and to complicate things she had a weird seizure. The best way to describe it is Sally was doing her best Katherine Hepburn impression with the bobbling head. Totally aware of what was going on around her, not freaked out in the least. Just sat the with her head a bobbling back and forth. SO weird. The vet isn't sure if the seizure was due to pain or some underlying problem. Right now, we are thinking it was from the pain. Anyhoo, a week of pain meds and rest she is back to being the spry old lady we all love and adore.
Then, I accidentally overbooked the Lichtinger Hotel for greyhounds over the weekend. Ooops. We had 8 for Saturday night. Everyone got along wonderfully. Now we are down to 6 till Sunday. When I start thinking how I would like to start my own doggie day care I get slapped back to reality. It is a helluva lot a work to take care of 8 dogs - walks, playtime, feeding, cuddling, moving beds, cleaning beds, turn-outs, oh my!But I have made some food along the way. Here is the my favorite slow cooker recipe of Tortilla Soup from 125 best Vegetarian Slow Cooker recipes. I LOVE this soup because you get the crunchiness from the tortilla strips, the velvety texture from the avocado and coolness from the sour cream. It is enough to bring tears to your eyes.
The other day I was reading Bazu's blog which had a link to Emilie's blog which consisted of a post about figs. The pictures were amazing and the next thing I know I am buying figs at the store. Talk about the power of pictures and blogs! I've never ever had a fresh fig in my life. I even had to ask Bazu how to eat them? Peeled, not peeled? I was also extremely nervous to try them because I am not a fan of fig newton's. To my shock and delight fresh figs taste NOTHING like a fig newton. They have a wonderful texture and gentle sweet nutty flavor. I was in love. Therefore I tried Emilies snack of a fig stuffed with vegan cream cheese with a little cracked pepper and drizzle of olive oil. Oh yea baby! These little suckers were amazing. So much going on in one little bite. If you like figs, try this!

10 comments:

Iowa Greyhound said...

It looks like a greyhound party at the hotel! Eight greyhounds, wow-wow-we-wow!

Vivacious Vegan said...

That picture of all 8 greys is hysterical. I think Marty would die of heart failure if we had 8 greys in our home (I'm lucky he agreed to have one). I too was drooling over those fig pictures thanks to Bazu's link. I have yet to find fresh figs in the store though but as soon as I do I'm all over that little treat.

bazu said...

Oh, I'm so glad Sally's doing better. And I love the 8 greyhound photo- so calm and collected!

We share a mutual love of fresh figs and a dislike of dried figs and fig newtons! I'm sorry I made you try that dried one today.

And *thank you* for the soup- we had it for dinner (I even ran out and got an avocado like you said!) and it was heavenly. SO full of flavor. Mmmmm.

IHateToast said...

glad sally is better. that would have been scary for you, even if she was unaware of it.

the second photo is my dream. of course in my dreams, dogs don't poop.

and that tortilla soup recipe looks good. nom nom good. avocados are always nom nom.

figs are weird. yummy, but weird. they're just a bunch of flowers growing on the inside. how odd is that? i used to tell my students that the crunch they had in fig newtons were the little bees that got trapped in the factory. they knew i was full of it, but said it worked on their little brothers and sisters. my work on this planet is done.

Jen said...

That picture of all the greyhounds in your living room... wowza! That's one heckuva pack.

Where in the world do you find figs? Wegmans?

Jen

Emilie said...

bazu is such a node! she's at the center of it all...i came here because of her link to your amazing looking soup and was amazed to see the figs I just blogged about. how cool! glad you enjoyed them. i have to try that soup...

Sue said...

No wonder you are tired and want to watch tv tonight!!!! At time, I can't handle two boys let alone 8 greyhounds!!!!!

Becalynn said...

Oh my! I would freaking LOVE to open my own doggie day care..you only have to work for yourself and answer to yourself...that sounds like heaven :)

All my tomorrows said...

Hound #2 has those exact same head bobs you are describing from time to time. The last one was after a rabies shot which is why we won't be doing anymore vacs for her. But at 13 what vacs could she possibly need? It's scary, but I was told that it is nothing to worry about long term. I hope that is right.

Good food. You rock on the cookin'!

Blogger said...

Order a professional Sparkling White Smiles Custom Teeth Whitening System online and enjoy BIG SAVINGS!
* Up to 10 shades whiter in days!
* Professional Results Guaranteed.
* As good as your dentist, for a fraction of the cost.
* Same strength Teeth Whitening Gel as dentists use.