Tuesday, July 24, 2007

We've Made It!

All of us are back and in one piece. No bear attacks. However we did have some very scary squirrels and suicidal chipmunks.

Friday started out with rain, but we didn't let that damper our excitement for the trip. Trac picked me up and I am thinking to myself there is no way in hell we are going to be able to cram all my shit in her car and have room for Cosmo. With some cleaver maneuvering we get it all in including Cosmo (see his face in there somewhere).
It rained the entire drive to Lake Placid. At one point we stopped to let the dogs stretch their legs and pee (myself included, figured I get used to peeing in the woods early) and had lunch. It was freezing so all of us huddled together under Trac's tailgate to munch on some chips, potato salad and a chickpea sandwich.

We hit camp and the rain stops and we were able to set-up the site and get the dogs settled. Perfect timing! An omen for the weekend I do believe. After we get everything up we started dinner. On Thursday night I made vegetarian chili and corn bread and we re-heated over the fire. It was delicious and hit the spot on a chilly evening.
Our camp was across the road to the bathrooms. Yay!!! My middle of the night trek to the potty wouldn't be far. HOWEVER, the bathroom was....was....rustic to say the least. No freakin' soap or paper towels! And the showers. Shiver. These were showers found in every cheesy camp horror flick.
Can't you just hear the music from the movie Psycho!! And what the hell is a feather doing in the shower!!!

Friday night I didn't sleep worth a shit. And woke at the crack of dawn because nature is fucking noisy! Sheesh! Birds singing and crap. Anyway, our goal for Saturday was to get up and go for a run in Lake Placid around Mirror Lake which would be 5.5 miles.

The weather was beautiful and perfect for a run. Sunny, cool and not to mention that Lake Placid is gorgeous! Our run went great. It was hard, damn hard, but we finished in one hour and one minute. Not bad. Not bad at all.
And to end this post I will leave you with a picture of a perfect camp breakfast after a long hard run. Vegan french toast and soy sausage cooked over an open fire.

Next post will be about the Ironman. The people who competed are amazing and awe inspiring.

4 comments:

Sue said...

It is good to have you back from the forest!!! You survived camping!!!

About the feather in the shower, maybe the bird wanted to take a bath?

Iowa Greyhound said...

The greys look like they're having a good time. Camping facilities are very scary at times!

bazu said...

Yay, I'm so glad you guys are back safe and sound! With Friday's bad weather, I thought of you. Then when they showed the Ironman on t.v. I thought of you! I have a love/hate relationship with nature, so I loved your commentary. And, that picture of Cosmo is classic- lololol!

IHateToast said...

excellent photo of cosmo's eyes.

we've thought about camping with the dogs, but have worried about them wanting to walk at night. i showed my husband your photos. i think he's convinced.