Sunday, June 03, 2007

Raw Food Detox

Trac and I picked up the book 'The Raw Food Detox Diet" by Natalia Rose at our local library. We are going to give it a whirl. Trac is going for it to try to lose weight and I am going for it for health reasons. Last March I had some major health issues and was diagnosed with two autoimmune disorders. Lovely. Switching to a full vegetarian (almost vegan...damn cheese) diet helped greatly, but I think it could be better.

Since my immune system is all fucked up I am thinking eating raw will help in many ways. Clean those cells, boost my immune system and help with fatigue. Granted I am still getting regulated with medication, but I think that will carry me only so far.

Natalia Rose take on the Raw diet is very interesting and seems to be doable for everyday folks like myself. I like that she tells you don't go all raw right away, but transition slowly into it. That the most important thing is not combining certain food groups and giving time for the body to digest those certain food groups before switching. She is also big on elimination. Her philosophy is don't back-up the highway. :-) I hear ya sister!

I don't think I will go to eating entirely a raw diet, but incorporate some of the ideas into my diet. It really isn't that far fetched when you think about it. Eat as much raw fruit and vegetables as you can, but make it fun. No one wants to just eat a head of broccoli or carrots all the time! The book has some tasty looking recipes. One I am going to make this week - raw Pai Thai! Fascinating.

Yesterday I decided to give this detox thing a whirl. I started out with eating a couple strawberries first thing in the morning before my run. It held me over nicely and I felt pretty good. One thing in the book she tells you is to NEVER mix fruit with anything else and should e eaten on an empty stomach. When I got home I had three slices of cantaloupe, three strawberries and a banana. Very filling. For lunch I had a Raw Corn Salad. It was perfect on a very HOT day! It had baby greens, raw corn, green pepper, cherry tomatoes, scallions, and baby bella mushrooms. Mmmmmmmmmmmm...........


**Edited: Can't believe I forgot to write about the dressing - olive oil, balasmic and pure maple syrup.

5 comments:

Sue said...

That salad looks great....It as all my favorite Veggies in it. Maybe (I said maybe) Ron would even try it!!!

Vivacious Vegan said...

I'm really excited to hear how your detoxing goes. I've been kicking around the idea for a awhile now. I'm going to see if my library has that book.

Jen said...

Never mix fruit with anything else? Interesting...

Blogger said...

Did you know that you can create short urls with AdFly and earn money for every visitor to your short urls.

Blogger said...

New Diet Taps into Pioneering Idea to Help Dieters Get Rid Of 12-23 Pounds within Just 21 Days!