Tuesday, June 12, 2007

It isn't easy being green

This is not a good photo, but I don't think there could be a good photo of "Green Lemonade" but here it is, my first glass.

Yesterday our juicer arrived and I was so excited to try it out. Now that I have, I am obsessed with it! Like a child that has discovered the excitement of flushing things down the toilet I want to shove everything in the juicer and watch it get pulverized! My one complaint is the bastard is loud! It sounds like an airplane taking off.

As I was shoving the first leaf from a head of romaine lettuce my husband wanders over and looks at me like I have finally lost my mind and said "you are juicing lettuce?" Ummmm...yea.

After I am finished I gaze at my glass of green. I am nervous. I sniff it and it smells like my lawn. At this point I am thinking to myself - Shit. I cannot not drink this! I've just shoved a couple bucks down the juicer and damn it I have to drink it. Bracing myself I get a small glass fill it with ice because seriously this would taste nasty warm. Pour and take a sip. Interesting. It doesn't make me gag and even more surprising it doesn't taste horrible. Not good, but not horrible. The lemon and apples really help it not taste like I just went out and chowed down on some weeds. But here is the other thing. I felt great this morning. Don't know if it was from my glass of chlorophyll or my sick glee of throwing things in the juicer.

Green Lemonade:
1 head romaine lettuce
4-5 stalks of green kale
1 lemon
2 SWEET apples
3 inches or more of fresh ginger

5 comments:

All my tomorrows said...

This does sound oddly good. And very cooling. I'm looking for those type of beverages at the moment.

Vivacious Vegan said...

I go back and forth on whether or not to get a juicer. I used to have one a long time ago and I remember it being such a huge pain to clean and it required so much fuit and veggies for one glass I eventually decided it wasn't worth it and sold it. Anwyay, I've been thinking about it again but since I couldn't make up my mind so I decided to get an ice cream maker instead. What's wrong with me???

I'm interested in seeing the concoctions you come up with.

runswithdog said...

My husb has juicer envy.

Jen said...

Ooooooh! Green lemonaide... that does sound cool.

Jen

bazu said...

Ooooh, you finally got to try the green lemonade! I want to try some, I want to try some! I'm glad it wasn't half bad.
P.S. your word verification has the word "dog" in it- hee hee!