Saturday, June 09, 2007

In the post about the Detox diet I mentioned I was going to make the Raw Pad Thai recipe in the book. I did try. And it was a disaster. The recipe called for using fresh coconut meat.

It started out okay. I took a tip from the Saprano's and wrapped the coconuts all snuggly in a blanket and whacked the crap out of them with a hammer. Worked great! They broke into pieces and the insides were brilliant white and looked so good that I decided to try a piece.

This is where things get ugly. What I tasted was NOTHING like what I thought it would taste like, such as sweet coconut meat. It was like eating a dirty sock that sat outside in the sun soaking in a puddle of piss. I almost tossed my cookies. It was foul. Now I am just shocked because I wasn't expecting it to be so nasty. Is this how raw coconut is supposed to taste like? Why does the unsweetened shredded coconut taste good? Is it because it is dried?

Now I know there is no way I am going to make this dish because the main ingredient was the raw coconut. Screw that. So I made my own bastardized version of a Asian coleslaw.

Holy shit. Maybe it was the vegan gods smiling down upon me, but this coleslaw turned out fantastic. It was spicy and sweet. The peanut sauce was to die for. I was so excited about it I took it to work for people to try and everyone loved it. If there was one recipe that I would want people to try it would be this one.

Asian Cabbage Coleslaw

Small head of red or purple cabbage - shredded
2-3 carrots finely chopped
2 med. zucchinis finely chopped
1 large jalapeno finely chopped
1 small bunch of cilantro finely chopped
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup chopped cashews

Toss all ingredient's and set aside.

Asian slaw sauce:

1 cup almond butter
2 Tbsp fresh ginger
4 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
3 Tbsp soy sauce
3 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp hot chili sesame oil
3 cloves garlic
1/2 cup water to thin

Put all ingredient's in food processor and blend. Use the water to thin.

Pour sauce over slaw and mix well.

Sorry no pictures :( I forgot because I was shoveling it in my face.

2 comments:

Vivacious Vegan said...

Yeah, I had that same experience with the young coconut. I was so excited and it was quite dissapointing. Your Asian slaw sounds like such an intriguing combination of flavors. I don't usually have almond butter on hand though. Do you think I could sub peanut butter or cashew butter and it would still taste good?

Blogger said...

New Diet Taps into Pioneering Plan to Help Dieters Lose 20 Pounds in Only 21 Days!