Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Tagged!

I've been tagged by Bazu to write 7 random things about myself. Hmmmmm...where to start?

1. In my blog I talked about my brother Pat, but didn't mention how he died. Pat died from Huntington's Disease at 37. It is a genetic disease and each sibling from an affected parent has a 50/50 chance of inheriting the disease. We had no idea about the disease until Pat was diagnosed in his early 20's. I was tested in 1998 and was found to be negative. It was the hardest decision I've ever had to make and the hardest thing I ever had to hear.

2. After high school I worked as a vet tech for 5 years for a very mean man, but a great vet. Working for him gave me a very thick skin and the desire to be the best at my job just out of spite. It also gave me very warped sense of humor.

3. I believe you should live your life in the now and try new things. There are so many things to try and explore. For instance, I thought quilting would be fun. So I learned. I thought letterboxing would be cool. So I went. I wanted to see if I could do a Sprint Triathlon. I could. When I am old and sitting in a nursing home I want those experiences in my memory to keep me company.

4. Random act of kindness. Everyday I try to pay attention outside the 'me' world and be watchful to help others. Nothing makes me happier than to bring a smile to someone's face with a random act of kindess. Be it holding open a door, helping them pick up something they dropped, giving them a ride, helping them carry something heavy. It is nice to think that one little gesture you make could make a person's day better and they in turn will do something nice for another person.

5. Although I act like an extrovert. It is a cover. I am actually an introvert (at least till you get to know me). When I am in a social situation I will find ways to work or do something other than socialize because I feel very awkward.

6. I think the cutest animal on the planet is a baby Walrus!!! They make me squeal in delight!

7. I love to laugh and make people laugh. It is rare that I cry and when I do it totally freaks people out! :-)

2 comments:

bazu said...

Thanks so much for sharing your list Bridget! I am so sorry about your brother and his battle with Huntington's Disease... I hate unnecessary tragedies like that. I think your post where you talked about him was one of my first visits to your blog, and it gave me an insighte into what a compassionate person you are.
I would have never guessed you are an introvert! Your cover works well, because you come off very bubbly and sociable- I need to find a way to work those skillz!

Vivacious Vegan said...

I was so sorry to read about your brother's death when you originally posted about it. I can't even begin to imagine how scary it must have been for you to take the test. Thank goodness it came back negative.

I had to google pictures of baby walrus' just so I could squeal with you. You're right. They are pretty darn cute.