Sunday, May 27, 2007

Memorial Plant

This plant has a story. It started over two years ago at my brother's funeral. We were bringing all the flowers, baskets and plants back to the house for the wake. Afterwards, my mom told us to pick something to take home. Out of the corner of my eye I spy this plant and was drawn to it. I didn't want flowers because they would be dead in a few days and I was sick of death. I decided that this plant was coming home with me so it could be a reminder of my brother.
The plant stayed in it's original sad green plastic planter for over two years. Over those two years it has been forgotten about, then remembered. It has survived many weeks of drought (there is a reason why I don't have live plants) and hung in there. It had to be hidden, way up high away from the cats, but the little plant was always stretching it leaves towards the bedroom light. It never gave up, no matter how harsh the enviroment.
Fitting. It truly has my brother's spirit. He too stretched toward the light and wouldn't give up. He too was hidden away, forgotten and then remembered. So today, memorial weekend, this little plant got a new home. He is a reminder of just how tough we can be.

5 comments:

Big Brother said...

Amen, he will always be in our hearts and never be forgotten.

Someday we will all meet again in paradise!

Love ya little sis!
Jeff

bazu said...

Oh man, that is just the most beautiful story. And such a cool little resilient plant.

Jen said...

What a great post. And a beautiful plant, just like Pat's spirit!

Jen

Candi said...

What a beautiful post. The plant looks so healthy and is very resilient, like Bazu said!

Urban Vegan said...

what a beautiful story and metaphor.