Saturday, March 17, 2007

It has been awhile since I posted pictures of what I've been cooking. Mostly due to sheer laziness. And I do have to confess I haven't been using my bento boxes lately and have to get back in the habit, but they are so tiny! Instead of the bento I bring a big ass Tupperware of what I had for dinner the night before.


Okay the pictures - Note: I SUCK as a photographer....


One thing I really missed when I went vegetarian was my homemade Cincinnati Chili. This is a chili you put over a steaming pile of pasta and top with chopped onion, oyster crackers and shredded cheddar cheese....drool. I was having a huge craving and decided to try my recipe using Smart Ground instead of the 2 lbs of greasy ground beef. It turned out fantastic!!! The flavors of Cincinnati chili are really different - you have the kick of Cayenne pepper, but the wonderful hint of chocolate and cinnamon.

Everything you need to make a awesome pot of Vegan Cincinnati Chili -- okay I left out the onion an garlic!
AFTER: With a small pile of oyster crackers.
Next day I made a big ass pot of Chickpea and Tomato Soup from my "Clueless Vegetarian" cookbook. It was excellent! I loved the zucchini and spinach that went in the soup along with the chickpeas. I used Muir Glenn Roasted Tomatoes....mmmmmmmm......This is the Chickpea and Broccoli casserole I made from VwaV. Not bad. A little thick, but the flavor was good and I was surprised because I thought it was going to be really bland. But I did add a lot more olive oil and veggie broth than the recipe called for.

One thing I love, love, love is roasted Brussel sprouts! I drowned these in the Wegmans Roasting oil (garlic oil and Thyme) and roasted them in the oven for 30 minutes. OMG they were like candy -- I couldn't stop eating them!
Recipe for Vegan Cincinnati Chili:

2 packages of Smart Ground
1 T olive oil
1 1/2 t cinnamon
2 t ground cumin
3 T chili powder
1/2 t crushed red pepper or cayenne pepper
1 t ground allspice
1 T Kosher salt
1 med. onion finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed
12 oz can tomato paste
15 oz can tomato sauce
4 c water
2 T vinegar
4 bay leaves
1 oz block unsweetened chocolate
1/2 t ground cayenne pepper (optional)

Add olive oil to large (4-6 quart) pot over medium high heat. Add the Smart Ground and the next 8 ingredients. Add the tomato paste, tomato sauce, water, vinegar, bay leaves and chocolate. If you want to add more heat add the cayenne.

Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer, uncovered for 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.

Yu can serve with chopped onion and oyster crackers.


Tastes even better the next day and freezes great!

2 comments:

Vivacious Vegan said...

Your Cincinnati chili sounds really different and interesting. I'm intrigued and will have to try it.

Jen said...

Looks like you had a delish week. I'll have to try that brussels sprouts recipe... I love Brussel sprouts! :o)

Jen