Sunday, March 18, 2007

Irish Whiskey Cake


In honor of it being St. Patrick's day I made a vegan Irish Whiskey cake to celebrate - okay it wasn't really Irish whiskey cake as it was Kentucky whiskey cake. Anyhoo, it was the perfect ending for our St. Patties day dinner. We had boiled cabbage, potatoes and corn beef (for the dear hubby). I tell ya, I could eat cabbage everyday - I put some kosher salt, pepper and vegan butter on top....damn it was good. But on to dessert, Bill made the whiskey cake last weekend, but not vegan and it was a little dry. This time around I decided to try and veganise it. It turned out BETTER than the non-vegan version. I added some canola oil to the recipe to moisten it up a bit. This cake definitely holds the whiskey flavor, but it isn't over powering. Trust me on this. I have a HUGE aversion to whiskey ever since a bad, bad, BAD night between me and Jack Daniels. Dear Jack kicked my ass and never looked back.
The recipe does call for a cinnamon whipped topping, but I had NO idea how to do that vegan. I know there is a product called Rich's, but we don't get it around here. You do need to have a light topping for the cake so I went with Cool Whip. You could do a icing, but it might be too rich? That my friends you will have to play around with.
Irish Whiskey Cake
2 1/2 c flour
1 T baking powder
1 T cocoa
1 t salt
1/2 t baking soda
3/4 c earth balance butter, softened
1 c sugar
1/2 c light brown sugar, packed
Egg replacer - enough for 3 eggs
1/4 c canola oil
1/2 c strong black coffee
1/2 c Irish whiskey (oh hell, any whiskey will do - I used Ten High Kentucky whiskey)
Cinnamon whipped cream topping (optional)
Preheat oven to 350
Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa and salt - put aside.
Combine coffee and whiskey in a separate bowl - put aside.
Cream butter and sugars, beat until light and fluffy. Add egg replacers and beat at medium speed, then add canola oil, continue to beat on medium speed until well blended.
Blend the flour mixture with the butter mixture and ALTERNATE with the coffee & whiskey mixture, beginning and ending with the flour. Beat well after each addition.
Pour into a well greased bundt pan. Bake 35-45 minutes or until cake springs back. It took me about 45 minutes. Cool.


6 comments:

Jen said...

Ooooh, that looks so good... especially with that little whip o' white heaven on the side...yum!

Jen :o)

bazu said...

I love the sound of this recipe!! I also tread very carefully around whiskey, but it sounds fabulous in cake form...

You and I have the same taste in veggies- cabbage? I'm there! Brussels sprouts? Gimme some more!

Happy bleated St. Patrick's day.

Vivacious Vegan said...

Yum! This sounds delicious. I couldn't find Rich's whip anywhere here either. If you go to their website, click on Bakery/Deli, and then click on Brokers. Then you can call the nearest distributor and they will tell you where you can pick it up locally for retail. I think Wegmans carries it in the frozen section. I had to get mine at a restaurant supply store. It's not any healthier than Cool Whip but at least it's cruelty free. Good luck. :)

All my tomorrows said...

Jack is nobody's friend...

But I have taken down this recipe. Looks devine!

Anonymous said...

looks really good and tastey. you do know cool whip isn't Vegan right???

Anonymous said...

I don't want you to accidently keep eating something that you think is Vegan and isn't' Here is the ingredient list for cool whip. It contains caseinate which is from milk (casein is milk protein)

http://www.kraftfoods.com/coolwhip/main.aspx?s=product&m=product/Product_display&Site=1&Product=4300000953

Ingredients: WATER, CORN SYRUP, HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL (COCONUT AND PALM KERNEL OILS), HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, LESS THAN 2% OF SODIUM CASEINATE (FROM MILK), NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, XANTHAN AND GUAR GUMS, POLYSORBATE 60, SORBITAN MONOSTEARATE, BETA CAROTENE (COLOR).