Monday, January 01, 2007

New digs for the birds

My husband is obsessed with the birds in our yard. He worries if they have enough food, if they like the food he puts out, etc., etc. Everyday I find him at the kitchen window looking out to see if the morning doves, chicadees, cardinals or woodpeckers (I could go on and on) are enjoying the cornucopia of food outside. Now he is worried about the little chicadees during winter so he built this:


A winter bird house. The hole is just big enough for the little birds to get in to roost during the cold. Bill wanted me to make a special stamp for the house too. It reads: St. Francis Watch Over us.

Here is the inside:


Look at all those perches! Oh I hope they use the box because Bill will be devastated if they don't.

7 comments:

runswithdog said...

You are the only people I know that actually video the birds......

Jen said...

OMG that is AMAZING!!! Bill should be very proud of himself for making such a beautiful home for chickadees! You'll have to aim your new bird camera at it so you can see them coming and going!

Jen

Jen said...

BTW... I hope we get to see a picture of your stamp!!! :o)

Jen

runswithdog said...

If they don't use it, maybe we should come over and stuff it with fake chickadees....

IHateToast said...

i have a grey butcher bird that comes to sing on our balcony. and he poops in my sky chair.
i got distressed when i saw from site meter that someone found my page after searching for "kill grey butcherbird." nooooo! somewhere i must ahve written kill. funny. i'm very upset that someone who'd look for that would then link to me.

i'm glad the chickadees have a snug home. big stuff here are houses for possums (not the same kind as in n. america). love critter houses.

Bridget said...

That would be one big house to fit a possum. Our dogs would just love that -- Alyssa got a hold of one that was the size of a 2 year old child!

The roost is going up today!

All my tomorrows said...

Wow. That is artistry. The birds should be honored.