Friday, December 29, 2006

It is good to be home!

We made it home and the pups are back to their routine. The drive was long - 9 hours to be exact. The weather wasn't too terrible. It was mostly rain, but I would prefer that over snow! On the way we swung by our friends to pick up Rimmy and Maggie. Maggie was an angel of course, and Rimmy was a big fat baby. He wouldn't settle at night unless someone came out on the couch to sleep with him!! During the day he is fine, but at night he is a 90 lb cuddle bug. My friends were very nice and spoiled him by doing his bidding. Anyway, Rim was exhausted! I wish I had a camera to capture the look on his face. He looked like someone who just come down off a week long binge. LOL!! When we got home he popped up on the bed with us, settled in and crashed. He was sleeping so hard that if a freight train came through our house he wouldn't have budged.

After we got everything out of the van I headed over to Trac's to pick up Sally and John. They of course we angels too according to Tracy. When I walked in Trac looked like a big puddle of goo. Poor thing was sick. Nothing worse than having a bad cold around the holiday's. Ho freakin' ho. Right Trac! Get everyone saddled up and the pack was all together again. Ahhhhh...it is so nice to be back to normal. My digestion system is happy too!

Over the four days we were out of town I did not see one green vegatable. Oh wait! There was a spinich salad on Christmas. Other than that...nada...nothing. All potatoes and or vegetable was covered in cheese, cheese and more cheese. For once in my life I can honestly say I am sick of cheese. Everyone was very sweet and supportive of me not eating meat and went out of there way to make something I could eat.

It was good to get back in the kitchen to cook. Wednesday night I made a great big pot of vegan chili that turned out excellent!!! I will have to go back and make it for the chili cookoff! I used Smart Ground and put in some Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce. It gave it a nice twang! I know, not a word, other than in the old Batman and Robin shows. Last night I made stuffed red peppers with black bean, mushroom and quinoa from VwaV that I got for Christmas. It was damn good! I love...LOVE...red peppers. Today for lunch I am having the leftovers. Before I devour my lunch I will get a picture.

If anyone cares here is the recipe I used for my chili:

1 medium onion satueed with olive oil until translucent
Add 3-4 cloves of garlic, along with chopped red and green pepper - toss that around for a few minutes then add 1 jalepeno pepper - toss that around for a minute
Mix in 1 package of Smart Ground
Add 3 heaping tablespoons Chili Powder - 1 teaspoon Cumin, 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano, 1 tablespoon Kosher salt and some ground black pepper - mix well and let all the seasoning blend for a minute. You have to keep stirring or else it will stick.
Then add 1 - 15.5 oz tomato sauce - mix well
Then add 2 - 15.5 oz cans of diced tomatoes - mix well
Add a little water if it is too thick
Throw in a tablespoon of dark brown sugar
Then add the secret ingredient - a tablespoon or a smidge more of Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce or any vegan BBQ sauce.

Bring to a boil - then turn down heat to simmer for about 30 minutes.

Bada bing bada boom - chili!

No comments: