Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Veggie galore!

This weekend I went a little overboard at the farmer stands. It seems there are such lovely things in season now and all the mom and pop farm stands are just overflowing with garden fresh goodness!! There is a little place about 3-4 miles from my house that you can go to and pick your own pumpkins and cut your own collards - which were absolutely HUGE!! I stopped by and picked up some pumpkins, 2 different types of squash, fresh out of the ground beets, sweet potatoes, still on the stalk brussel sprouts, cabbage, red pepper, green pepper and purple pepper, spanish onions, few red onions and eggplant. It was a rainbow of health.

Last night I make spicy tofu & eggplant stir-fry. Holy Mary Mother of God it was SPICY! Next time I need to cut waaaaaaaaaay down on the chili paste. It was very good, but I couldn't eat most of it because it made me want to rip my tongue out and dip in a cold glass of soy milk. However I am very proud to announce this was my first experience making eggplant. Normally I just order and have someone else worry about preparing it, but not this time. My time had come to step up the plate. I peeled it and let it 'sweat' for about an hour and rinsed it really well. It was damn good and really soaked up the spicy flavor - there were like little fire bombs.

Next I had to make something for lunch so I decided to tackle the beets. Now I have never had beets. Yes, you read that right. Never. I always thought them to be sort of gross looking and never thought to try them, but I decided I needed to grow-up and give them a try. Boy are they messy to make! Beet juice everywhere!!! The recipe I was making was a roasted beet salad - very easy. Beets, olive oil, balsamic, spanish onion, garlic, salt and pepper (i think that is everything). It called for mint, but I don't really care for mint so I left that out. I tossed everything together and threw it in the oven for about 1.5 covered till the beets were tender. I will report on how it turned out today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bridget,
Even though I'm not vegan/vegetairian I LOVE veggies. Everything you mentioned. The problem is our season is so small I just want to eat them all the time and as much as I can.

Funny you should mention beets...I LOVE BEET! But I like them with a little vinegar and you could use sugar but I have to use sweetner. I usually get the canned ones and put the the can in the fridge and then it's nice and cold. I eat the whole can.

Linda