Thursday, September 21, 2006

Note to self...

I learned a valuable lesson last night when trying to prepare my dinner. When going vegetarian and trying to cook there are two things you should never skimp on.

1. Soy Sauce

Last night I was attempting to make a sesame noodle salad with an oriental dressing. The main ingredient for the dressing was soy sauce and the only thing I had is La Choy. Not good. Not good at all. In fact, I don't even think this was a soy sauce - it resembled soy sauce, but definitely didn't taste like it. I pitched the entire thing! Lesson learned: Buy the good stuff from an asian market. There is a difference - a big difference.

2. Food Processor

About a month ago I bought a cheapo food processor at Wal-Mart for $25 bucks. I hate it. Each time I have tried to use it, it has been a disaster. Could it be operator error? Yes. It is, but I still hate it.

There is a part that would of come in handy if I just would of read the freaking directions. Here is what happened. The lid has a spout or rather a salad shooter attachment - it is for when you put veggies down the top chute, the processor will chop and shoot the veggies out this spout into your bowl. What I didn't know is how to close this so when I make a sauce or anything else that it doesn't go flying everywhere from this spout! I know. I am an ass. So I am trying to make this dressing and it is going EVERYWHERE - it was like a scene from Hell's kitchen after a bad night of service. I tried shoving a paper towel in the shoot - nope. It was a disaster and I got really pissed. Not only did it taste like dog doo - it was all over my kitchen. I abandoned the dressing and decided to make my own! I coated my noodles with sesame oil and hot chili sesame oil, threw in some garlic and green onions and melted some Jiff peanut butter. I was pleasantly surprised that it tasted pretty good.

When my husband got home from work, I went into bitching overload about the processor! I hate it , I want a better one, this one is like a possessed demon and it hates me as much as I hate it, bitch, whine, bitch, whine. As he patiently listens to me, he walks into the kitchen, roots around to find this tool that slides in the slot that blocks the hole. All the while giving me this look of "if only you would look". Smartass.

4 comments:

Jen said...

LOL, your cooking experience last night was much more horrid than my Dog Doo Teriyaki eggplant, and I thought THAT was bad! Must have been a full moon for bad cooking. :o( But I'm glad your homemade concoction came out good. ;o)

Jen

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the laugh. I'm sorry you had such a bad night in the kitchen, but it sure makes for a good blog entry. :)

I really need a decent food processor too. It's topping my christmas wish list right about now. All I have is a blender and that just does not cut it when Dreena says to get out the food processor in Vive le Vegan. Talk about a frustrating mess. Grrrrr. Of course, the ones I like are all over $100. Talk about champagne dreams and a beer budget.

Anonymous said...

I think I have the same damn food processor! I hate hate HATE it. It was the first processor I bought and I didn't want to buy anything too expensive in case I never used it but I use it almost every day. Damn!

When filling it with anything liquid, you can't put more than 2 inches in it. :(

Anyway, it's so nice to meet you. I'm a vegan and I've recently adopted a greyhound (my first).

I'm going to add you to my blogroll.

Bridget said...

Congratulations on your first greyhound! How exciting!!

Thanks for the tip. I haven't used it since the last disaster because now I am little scared of it and I swear when I walk by it, it mocks me!!