Sunday, August 27, 2006

What a Veggie day

Started out the day with a great walk with the pups and some good friends. I took Sally, Maggie and John because he was throwing one hell of a fit when I left. The two girls are slow walkers and John is fast paced so I wanted just to take the girls, but John was having no of it!

After the walk, my friends and I headed out to the 2nd annual VegFest in Syracuse. Since today is my 4th official day as a vegetarian I was excited to go to the festival.

We get to the VegFest and there was not a lot of people and I think it was due to the weather. It was cloudy and has been sprinkling on and off all day. There were a few tents of organizations handing out literature. My friends and I grab a handful from each place. A couple of them have recipes in them!! Woo hoo!! A lot had great information about the lifestyle and why people go vegan/veggie..the animals. There was one story in there that just broke my heart and too think there are many more stories just like it. So sad.

There were three tents that had food - one was Thai and I am kicking myself for not getting some, but I decided to try the bbq tempari. It was good and satisfied my bbq craving (a residual from the Fair the night before). After I had my tempari I was still hungry and only had $3 in my pocket so I decided to get a Veggie Dog for $2. BIG MISTAKE.

So far I believe I have been open minded about non-meat products, but this was by far the most disgusting thing I have ever put in my mouth. It was the texture of clay and tasted like...oh god just thinking about it makes me want to throw-up. So I am standing there feeling like a contestant on a bad epidsode of Fear Factor, when Trac walks up and asks me what is the matter, and of course I can't talk for fear of projectile vomiting all over the place. She takes the veggie dog out of my hand and takes a bite. I was validated. It just wasn't me. The veggie dog was foul. Trac spit it out and agreed it was nasty. Whew! I was reassured that there are other faux dogs that don't taste like poo.

After the VegFest I headed out to the store to buy some groceries for my first vegetarian meal. As soon I got home from the store I went to work to make my Bridget's "What The Hell Is It" veggie concoction:

Russet potatoes; sweet corn (fresh from the cob), fresh green beans, veggie broth, onion, garlic, salt, pepper and Tofurky Italian sausage.

You know what? It is pretty damn good!!!!! Wow! Trac came over to drop off a present - my first veggie cookbook: The Clueless Vegetarian!! Full of EASY recipes (she knows me so well). Of course I was proudly showing her my dish and I gave her some to take home. Hopefully she and her hubby enjoy it (fingers crossed).

2 comments:

Jen said...

You're doing great... I bet the recipe turned out yummy! :o)

Jen

trac said...

That was one nasty hot dog! Yucky!

Your concoction was very good. A said it was delicious and no gut bomb!